Friday, September 5, 2014
Friday Cardinal Couple -- Asia Durr to announce Tuesday and BIG TIME women's soccer today!
TUESDAY CARDINAL COUPLE
- Asia Durr to announce college choice Tuesday
- Women's Soccer to face Kentucky tonight
- Volleyball hosts Active Ankle today and tonight
# 1 ranked 2015 prospect to decide on Tuesday
Asia Durr has tweeted that she'll announce her college choice Tuesday at her high school.
We'll stick our necks out on the chopping block in a very
early pre-Thanksgiving prediction and boldly declare that she'll say "Louisville".
We have not one shred of evidence of this. We have had no direct contact with her (although she's welcome to call us or e-mail us anytime she takes a notion to do so). No lurking figures in dark alleys whispering the decision dressed in trenchcoats or insiders giving us any scoop. ( Although the idea of Sam Purcell or Jeff Walz in a trench coat whispering in a dark alley does evoke a plethora of hilarious, improvisational scenarios...)
Why are we so confident? See below:
TOP 10 REASONS ASIA DURR WILL CHOOSE LOUISVILLE
10. We've had an Asia here before. She was well-liked. Us journalists know how to spell Asia. Reliable media is everything. We like Asia's. We'd like this one.
9. Tearing down of the silos by I-65 will give her an unobstructed view of the soccer and lacrosse stadiums and if there is anything going on there. Knowledge is good.
8. Asia Durr. Eight lettters. Jeff Walz. Eight letters. CARDINAL. Eight letters. Bears, Fighting Irish, Terrapins, Blue Devils. Not eight letters. The numbers (and letters) don't lie.
7. Asia is into community involvement. WE have the Crusade for Children. We bet one of the volunteer fire departments would let her ride on the fire truck and collect money for the kids.
6. Louie the Cardinal Bird is way cooler than that short guy running around in green clothes. Or a bear, Blue Devil or Turtle. Better mascots rule. Louie rules.
5. Walz offers free beer nights. Free beer makes fans happy. Players love happy fans. Asia IS a player.
4. UofL has already put one "Asia" in the WNBA. This Asia might like to play in the WNBA someday. Insider Asia-to-Asia information availability. Worth its weight in gold.
3. Asia attends St. Pius school. We have a St. Pius here. They'd probably let her visit fellow Piusians and swap pious stories. Her high school sweatshirts will get a nod of recognition from Louisvillians.
2. Two assistants here named Sam. Fewer different first names for a freshman to learn. More time to concentrate on offensive patterns and academics. A win-win.
1. KFC YUM! CENTER. Best ball-playin' venue in WBB.
CATS COMING TO LYNN STADIUM TO FACE CARDS
Karen Ferguson Dayes' Louisville women's soccer squad gets the first crack this fall at beating arch-rival Kentucky tonight. Game time is 6 p.m. at Lynn Stadium. There's a men's game following against Cornell. Louisville (2-1-0) is coming off a 1-0 win over Ole Miss. Kentucky (3-1-0) defeated Ohio U last time out.
So far this season, the Wildcats are averaging 2.8 goals and 9.3 corner kicks per game. Taylor Braun has started all four games in goal for the Wildcats. She has a 1.29 goals against average and collected four saves so far this season. Arin Gilliland leads the Wildcats in scoring with three goals and four assists for 10 points.
Two games for the price of one! Go represent! You need to see this incredible soccer stadium.
VOLLEYBALL SERVES UP A DOUBLEHEADER TODAY
If a different size net is more your thing...you can catch (2) UofL Volleyball games today.
The University of Louisville volleyball team, which moved into the national rankings tied at No. 24 in the AVCA Poll, will host the Active Ankle Challenge presented by The Galt House on Friday and Saturday in Cardinal Arena in the Student Activities Center on Campus.
UofL will open the tournament at 10 a.m. Friday morning hosting Tennessee State followed by Appalachian State versus Cincinnati at noon. After a brief break, TSU will take on ASU at 5:30 before the Cardinals take on long-time rival Cincinnati at 7:30 in the night cap.
Kordes' Cards are coming off an upset win over Minnesota. Some excellent freshmen, transfers and returning stars are making their mark for the VolleyCards so far this season.
Here's your chance to see them live (and early...as reader Vivian mused...will they be serving coffee and donuts for the 10 a.m. match?)