SATURDAY CARDINAL COUPLE
-Mattingly, Juhl rule as VolleyCards sweep UCF
-Kickin' Cards host Redbirds in NCAA 1st round action
-The hour of doom approaches. Radio today @ 11 a.m.
|(Not allowed to drive|
the team van anymore.
New name:Flat Tire Al)
This yawner in Orlando was maybe the best the Cards have played all year...if you subscribe to the Anne Kordes logic she delivered after the game. She's learning the Pitino/Walz/best this-or-that we've ever whatever/playbook quite well:
"This was our best all around performance of the season. We controlled both the front and back row and everyone performed incredibly well tonight," said U of L head coach Anne Kordes. "At this point in the season, you want to be executing your game plan and we did that tonight. I love to see the effort and intensity."
And the VolleyCards did keep it interesting in the first set...there were eight ties early in the game before the Cards broke loose on a 6-1...Emily and Brooke in the engineering booth with two key kills each.
Louisville displayed more of the willingness to allow the distressed damsels to hang around in the second set but the Cards grew tired of a 9-9 tie and went on a 12-1 run...seven straight of those coming from the serving of Caitlin Welch.
In game three, Louisville once again delayed the "boom"...taking a 5-5 tie and accelerating it to a 13-6 lead. The senior slammers...Emily and Brooke...had four kills each in the game.
The Cards skip over to Tampa next...for a running with the Bulls on Sunday. This Florida jaunt will be the final regular season road trip for Anne's crew.
Football isn't the only athletic event getting their kicks on campus today....the Cards women's soccer team starts NCAA Championship play with first round action against the Redbirds of Illinois State today at 1 p.m. in Cardinal Park.
Louisville made the field as an at-large and ISU got the automatic bid for winning the Missouri Valley Conference.
These Redbirds are on a 9-0 streak and face the Cardinals for the first time in history. If our birds fly past their birds, they'll face the winner of the Michigan/Milwaukee first round contest.
Unlike NCAA Field Hockey...who had no idea how to set up a championship tournament...NCAA women's soccer actually has 64 squads in their "big dance". They only give seed rankings to the top four in each region (Michigan is #3) but based on the bracket layout...it appears the Cards were a #6 seed.
Kick it in the net, girls! Many times...
Louisville women's basketball will attempt to be crowned the WNIT Preeseason Champions on Sunday in Norman, OK. against the "Coale-miners"...Sherri Coale's Oklahoma Sooners.
Our illustrious Jenny O'Bryan will have much more pre-game analysis in the Sunday edition of Cardinal Couple. Today, we'll discuss the e-mails and questions I've been getting about Louisville having to travel to Oklahoma to play this final game.
After careful thought and deliberation, I've had a break-through and come up with the Top 10 reasons why Louisville has to travel to Norman to play.
10) WNIT OFFICIALS DIDN'T WANT TO INTERFERE WITH THE RUNNING OF THE KENTUCKY DERBY
9) TOURNAMENT OFFICIALS AFRAID OF WHAT WALZ WOULD OFFER TO BUY FOR THE NEXT LOUISVILLE HOME GAME
8) OKLAHOMA HAS EIGHT LETTERS...LOUISVILLE TEN. TONS OF MONEY SAVED ON PRINTER INK WHEN DISTRIBUTING THE LOCATION INFORMATION
7) BIG 12 OFFICIALS TRYING TO DIVERT ATTENTION AWAY FROM THE SOONERS LESS THAN STELLAR FOOTBALL SEASON BY HOSTING OTHER EVENTS.
6) LOUISVILLE PRESIDENT JAMES RAMSEY UNWILLING TO HAVE 500 OR SO SCREAMING CATTLE RANCHERS AND FARMERS FROM OKLAHOMA IN THE YUM!
5) LITTLE KNOWN CITY ORDINANCE THAT PROHIBITS WOMEN FROM ENGAGING IN ATHLETIC ACTIVITIES ON SUNDAY IN THE DOWNTOWN AREA.
4) MASSIVE Fraternity PRANK BY THE GUYS IN THE DELTA TAU EPSILON CHAPTER AT O.U. INVOLVING FORGED DOCUMENTS FROM TOM JURICH REQUESTING A CHANGE IN VENUE. THOSE CRAZY DELTA'S!!!
3) ROAD MAINTENANCE ON I-65 IN BULLITT COUNTY.
2) LT. GOV. JERRY ABRAMSON THOUGHT A ROAD TRIP MIGHT BE FUN
1) KFC YUM! CENTER CLOSED THIS SUNDAY FOR SEAT CLEANING, FLOOR WAXING AND TOILET INSPECTION.
Hey, Y'all...we be on the radio this morning! We'll be welcoming Worldwide Jeff McAdams back into the studio and we're offering 2500 free toothpicks to our studio audience.
The program should be a blast today...we're going to secretly replace Jenny's blood with Folger's instant coffee and see how she performs on live air!
Air time is 11 a.m....which gives you plenty of time to get to the bakery and pick up a loaf of marble rye and some hummus before we start babbling!
I KNOW YOU ARE BUT WHAT AM I???