CARDINAL COUPLE

CARDINAL COUPLE
We report on the joy and excitement of UofL women's sports here. Thanks for checking us out! Click the picture of Louie to hear the latest Cardinal Couple Radio Hour Podcast!!

Saturday, October 8, 2011

Soccer wins in double overtime vs Villanova...Volleyball sweeps Seton Hall...Dream lose...Jenny's wish list


Bon-nay with her "redneck" wine glass...compliments
of Tillie the Tour Guide and Flo...


SATURDAY CARDINAL COUPLE...WHO'S WATCHING THE PARRISH HOUSE?

-Women's Soccer over Villanova

-Volleyball sweeps Seton Hall

-Jenny's Wish List

Exeter scores twice in Cards win
Freshman Kim Sharo connected with the game winner in the second overtime yesterday in Philadelphia as the UofL women's soccer team defeated Villanova 3-2. Villanova opened the scoring but the Cards rallied to tie in the second half and led 2-1 before Nova scored late in
regulation to send it to overtime.

It was sophomore Christine Exeter who netted both goals in regulation for the Cards...who improved to 6-5-3 with the win.

Louisville travels to Georgetown next for a Sunday game against the Hoyas.

*********************************************************************************

Lola with 21 kills for Volleyball...who swept the Pirates yesterday in South Orange, NJ. The Cards took it 29-27, 25-18 and 25-21.

"It was a great road win." said UofL head coach Anne Kordes. "Seton Hall played scrappy defense with a lot of heart and drive. They did a great job. Brooke Mattingly and Taylor Brauneis
Lola on the loose again
had a nice offensive outing."

The Cards started slow...trailing in game one early but took a 13-12 lead and then went on a 5-1 run to secure the contest. Emily Juhl, hampered by injuries, came in and helped the Cards take the second game. Louisville never trailed in game three to go to 13-4 on the year and a perfect 5-0 in the BIG EAST.

The Cards got 35 assists from Brauneis and valuable play from reserve Gosia Lech...who was a perfect 3-3 on kills.



*********************************************************************************

(CARDINAL COUPLE WRITER JENNY O'BRYAN SHARES HER WISH LIST)

I am first and foremost a women's college basketball fan. As such, it has been a long off-season. Fortunately, we can finally say, the new season is just around the corner. The tip-off luncheon is a little less than two weeks away. The preseason exhibition game - a little less than two weeks away. That means it is time for my basketball wish list.

First, I feel it is important to tell you about last year's wish list. It was a modest wish list, not asking for anything for my team. I had two wishes...I wanted UCONN to lose a game. Just one. Before I get labeled as a "Husky Hater."...let me say I absolutely admire the athleticism of the Connecticut team. I admire the coaching staff and their recruiting skills. I wanted them to break the all-time consecutive win record..and then I wanted them to lose. They did. Twice. First wish granted. Next, I wanted two team beside Stanford and Connecticut to play for the National Championship. I got this one in SPADES! Texas A&M and Notre Dame. If I had only known my wishes would be granted, I would have dreamed even bigger.

This brings us to this year's list. I want great things for my LADY CARDS! I think it is realistic to thing they can go undefeated during the out-of-conference schedule. Texas A&M will be tough. I believe the early scheduling of this game, though, gives us the slightest edge...even though we are in enemy territory. The Kentucky game in Lexington will be tough also. Even though it is in Lexington, it is close enough to Louisville that our travelling fan base can help our Cards bring home the win.

I want to beat UConn. Last year, I wanted UConn to lose. This year, I want to beat them. Our court, our fans, our arena. I want a big turnout and a win. So bad that I can taste it.

In the past, I have not thought we could beat the Huskies...I just wanted us to play well. This year, our ladies can do it! I know our team has been working hard during the off-season. Mo and Becky remember their freshman year, when we lost to UConn 3 times.

Our time has come. Our team is ready. Get the win.

I also expect our team to make a deep run in the tournament. By deep run, I mean a trip to Denver. The Final Four. We are poised for our first National Championship. I would love for it to happen this season. Winning it all takes a lot of good health, depth in positions, drive, determination, hard work, great coaching and a bit of good luck. Things that we can control, we have. So far, the good health is there. Let's hope for the good luck.

My final wish is that Mercedes Russell (Class of 2013) ends up at UofL. She's the top ranked post player in her class. I want our first ever #1 ranked recruit to come and play for my beloved Cardinals. We are in the running. She's made an unofficial visit. The coaching staff recently visited her at her high school in Oregon. As a high school junior, there is a lot of time before she can sign a letter of intent. Between now and then, I feel certain our coaching staff is putting us in the best possible light to sign this highly talented, elite post talent.

OK, I'm dreaming big. It is an exciting time to be a Lady Card fan. Our Cards are on the cusp of greatness. Our program is on the brink of excellence. Our time is coming.

Finally, it is about time to start. Bring it on. I can hardly wait.

************************************************************************************************************

Atlanta fell to the Minnesota Lynx last night. WNBA Finals over and done with. Our Sandy Walker was at the game and will weigh in later today with her recount and observations. Can't blame Angel. She is the ultimate warrior.
.
.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave your comments here. We ask you be respectful of other posts, no matter how ridiculous they may seem to you. After all, it is CARDINAL COUPLE.

Any attempts to advertise a product or other website here in the comments section without the prior consent of CARDINAL COUPLE will result in a bill rendered for advertising services and possible legal action. We're serious. No more bots.

Now, have your take...