CARDINAL COUPLE

CARDINAL COUPLE
We report on the joy and excitement of UofL women's sports here. Thanks for checking us out! Click the picture of Louie to hear the latest Cardinal Couple Radio Hour Podcast!!

Tuesday, May 12, 2020

Favorite Games -- Ferg's Farewell -- TUESDAY CARDINAL COUPLE

Jared's Favorite Games

Jared Anderson takes a look back at some of his favorite UofL women's athletic games today



Last week, I mentioned some of my favorite Cardinals.  Today, I am going to discuss some of my favorite games.  My only requirement for myself is that I had to have been physically present at the game, meaning TV, online, and live stats do  not qualify.  You can set your own requirements, though.


Field Hockey vs Duke, Nov. 3, 2017

Ayeshia
In the ACC Semifinal match hosted at Trager Stadium back in 2017, UofL went up against a highly ranked Duke team.  The foes traded goals and were tied 2-2 at the end of regulation.  Neither team could muster a goal in either overtime period so it went into a shootout.

Nicole Woods, Marisa Martin Pelegrina, Katie Walsh, and Minout Mink knocked in goals to win the shootout 4-3.  Ayeisha McFerran stood firm in goal and made a defensive stance on the final shot.

The victory advanced the Cards to their first ever ACC Championship appearance.

The 4-3 overtime win against #21 Ohio State in 2012 and and 3-2 overtime win over #6 Iowa in 2019 came in as "runners-up' in my favorite Field Hockey games. .

Soccer vs North Carolina, Oct. 8, 2015

Gabi Vincent
Going a little further back and to my Louligans days, I fondly remember a Thursday night match
against #1 North Carolina.  Louisville was struggling that season but that did not matter when the match was over.

The Tar Heels held a 1-0 advantage going into halftime but the Cards answered quickly in the second half off of a free kick by Gabrielle Vincent.  Another free kick in overtime sealed the win for the Cards when Caroline Kimble sent the ball into the back of the net.

This is the only time Louisville Women's Soccer has knocked off the #1 team.

The wins over Clemson and Vanderbilt this past season are my choices for "runner-up"  matches.

Softball vs Florida State, April 8, 2019

Rebecca Chung
Let's go to a more recent time to Holly Aprile's first season as the softball head coach.  Louisville was having a good season that finished with an NCAA Regional appearance.  The Cards and Seminoles were tied in the series at one apiece when they met up for a Monday night match-up on ESPN.

FSU shot out of the starting gate with three runs in the first inning.  The Cards pieced together seven runs over the third, fourth, and fifth innings.  But the #3 team in the country wouldn't bow down so quick as they posted a six-piece in the top of the final inning.

With the bases loaded, two outs, and down by two, Rebecca Chung sent a line drive to right center field, scoring Caitlin Ferguson, Megan Hensley, and Sidney Melton for the walk-off.

It marked Florida State's first conference series loss in seven years.

The win a couple weeks later over Kentucky came runner-up in my favorites. .

Volleyball vs North Carolina, Nov. 19, 2017

Melanie McHenry
Louisville went into a thrilling five-setter against North Carolina on Senior Day in Cardinal Arena.

 The Cards won the first two sets before the Tar Heels responded by taking the next two sets.

UofL and UNC were tied 8-8 in the fifth set before Louisville went on a 7-3 run to close the match.  The match was highlighted by Melanie McHenry's 30 kills and Molly Sauer and Gabbie Wiley going off for 25 and 28 digs, respectively.

The win concluded a perfect home season for the Cards.  A pair of road victories to close the season clinched the ACC title after the Cards were picked to finish 8th in the preseason poll.

The 3-1 win over Georgia Tech in November of 2015 and 3-2 win over Notre Dame in October 2018 were runner-up matches in my favorite choices. .

Women's Basketball vs Cal, April 7, 2013

Sara Hammond
Let's go way back to my freshman year for this one.  I was in the  pep band for the Final Four in New Orleans when Louisville faced California.

The Bears held a 10-point halftime lead in a defensive battle.  Louisville held a 17-point advantage in the second half and held on to get the win and advance to their second title game in program history. A 64-57 final against Lindsay Gottlieb's Golden Bears

Sara Hammond scored all nine of her points in the second half.  Antonia Slaughter and Bria Smith powered the way with 18 and 17 points.  All of Nita Slaughter's points came from three-point range.

This was the same tournament run where the Cards knocked down 16 three-pointers to upset Brittney Griner and #1 Baylor, which I watched on TV.  Sadly, the championship game against UConn was pretty ugly after the first seven minutes.

The 100-67 win over Notre Dame in 2018 and the 78-69 victory over UConn in 2019 came in runner-up's in my favorites. .

Lacrosse vs Vanderbilt, Feb. 22, 2017

Hannah Koloski
I did not pick up lacrosse until my later years as a student, but this one came when I went as a fan

The Cards were in a tight battle against their rival from Tennessee.  Vandy scored two goals in a two and a half minute span towards the end of the match to tie the game.

With four seconds remaining, the speed demon Hannah Koloski raced down the pitch to score the eventual game winner.  The final score ended up being 11-10.

This was one of the few bright spots in Kellie Young's final season which saw a mass exodus of players.

The 20-2 win over Mercer in February 2019 and the 16-11 over Cincinnati this past season came in as my runner-up matches for favorites. .

What are some of your favorite games?  You can set your own requirements on what qualifies.


Ferg's Farewell

#12 Caitlin Ferguson
As announced by Case on in his Saturday Cardinal Couple article and on the Carrdinal Couple Radio Hour Podcast, Caitlin Ferguson has decided to forego her fifth year option with softball.  She accepted a position in pharmacy school at UK, although she still bleeds red.

"Ferg" and Celene Funke were the only two seniors on Holly Aprile's squad and had the opportunity to return to the team for the spring 2021 season because of the shortened season in 2020.

Caitlin was a starter in all four years of her student-athlete time at Louisville, at either third base, shortstop, the outfield or first base. She started every game at shortstop her final two years.  Her career stats at the plate were a batting average of .256, 11 home runs and 92 runs batted in. Her four-year fielding average was an incredible .928.


She shared this letter on social media yesterday:


"Dear CardNation,
The majority of my life has revolved around softball. I fell in love with this sport when I was a mere six years old. Every fall and winter consisted of softball and basketball. Every spring was softball season and of course, every summer, since I can remember was spent traveling the country for games. My dream was to play softball at the Division I level. Well, I can say I have truly lived out that dream.
 
My four years at the University of Louisville have been nothing short of the best experience I have ever had. I have made lifelong friendships and memories that I will never forget. I believe that this sport has shaped the person I have become and has equipped me to succeed in the real world. Skills like self-discipline, teamwork and overcoming adversity do not really sink in until you live and practice them every day. I feel like playing any college sport at this level prepares you for anything that life can throw at you.
 
Although I would have LOVED to continue my softball career, I have decided to continue my education and go to pharmacy school next fall. Nothing can make this transition easy, especially when I have been an athlete my entire life, but I am very eager to begin my pharmacy career.
 
I want to thank my coaches, parents and the fans for all of their support. I also want to thank the athletic department for giving me opportunity to play softball for the University of Louisville. And I thank God for giving me the ability to play this sport and blessing me with an opportunity to play at the Division I level. Without all of you, none of this would have been possible.
 
So, this is my farewell CardNation. I will cherish every minute I spent playing this sport, from tee ball to college. It has been an honor to represent the University of Louisville and play on Don Dobina Field.
 
Sincerely,
Ferg #14
"



We thank Ferg four her four years of dedication with the Cards and are sorry her senior season got cut short.  We wish her the best in grad school. She, Celene Funke and Coach Holly Aprile are scheduled for a teleconference this Thursday and Paulie will bring it to us in Friday's column.

Remember to continue to stay safe.  Happy Tuesday and Go Cards!

Jared

1 comment:

  1. Great contests all. I list WBB and their beatingvof Uconn in the KFC YUM Center as my favorite WBB game.

    I think UofL should proceed with caution on fan attendance for fall sports. I also wonder about you guys and media attendance.

    Curtis "seats in the front row?...probably not" Franklin

    ReplyDelete

Please leave your comments here. We ask you be respectful of other posts, no matter how ridiculous they may seem to you. After all, it is CARDINAL COUPLE.

Any attempts to advertise a product or other website here in the comments section without the prior consent of CARDINAL COUPLE will result in a bill rendered for advertising services and possible legal action. We're serious. No more bots.

Now, have your take...