CARDINAL COUPLE

CARDINAL COUPLE
We report on the joy and excitement of UofL women's sports here. Thanks for checking us out! !

Tuesday, September 29, 2026

Louisville Volleyball's Addison Makun selected ACC Defensive Player of Week - TUESDAY CARDINAL COUPLE

 SOPHOMORE CARDINALS MIDDLE BLOCKER HONORED


The role of the middle blocker in college volleyball is aptly defined in the title. Teams want to score on opponents down the middle of the court in offensive attacking. The middle blocker's duty to to answer, "No, not on my watch". And few do it better in the ACC than Addison Makun. 

Makun had 2.33 blocks per set in Louisville wins over Syracuse and Boston College. Her 50 total blocks in action this season leads the team.

Louisville has had some very good middle blockers over the past few years. Volleyball fans will remember the names Cara Cresse, Amaya Tillman, Hannah Sherman and Brooke Bultema as essential to the UL successes. They even got Bultema to transfer in from UK. And once Tillman was finished playing for the Cards, UK lured her away to be an assistant coach there. 

When you have the #4 and the #6 teams in NCAA DI Volleyball in the commonwealth, and a former coach in in charge of the #1 team in the nation (Dani Busboom Kelly - Nebraska) you could say the sport has a lot of success and popularity here. 

I remember a few years ago when I was in a Louisville sports social club and they decided to have a raffle of goods and services. I went to Louisville Volleyball to see if they might be interested in putting up an item to help in the auction. A certain operations director casually asked me if I thought the club's members might be interested in bidding on a head coach signed volleyball. I almost fell out of my chair. Yes, they would, I managed to reply. It did quite well in the raffle. That was an OK club to be in for a couple years, but there were too many people with too many of their own selfish agendas they wanted to pursue. I backed out, indicating the sandbox was a little too crowded for my pail and shovel. And ,once I got my kidney diagnosis, I tendered my resignation. 

Congratulations to Addison! Keep blocking!

paulie

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave your comments here. We ask you be respectful of other posts, no matter how ridiculous they may seem to you. After all, it is CARDINAL COUPLE.

Any attempts to advertise a product or other website here in the comments section without the prior consent of CARDINAL COUPLE will result in a bill rendered for advertising services and possible legal action. We're serious. No more bots.

Now, have your take...