CARDINAL COUPLE

CARDINAL COUPLE
We report on the joy and excitement of UofL women's sports here. Thanks for checking us out! Click the picture of Louie to hear the latest Cardinal Couple Radio Hour Podcast!!

Sunday, May 6, 2012

.
SUNDAY CARDINAL COUPLE


-Softball clinches the BIG EAST title with doubleheader win over St. John's


-Track leads after Day Two of BIG EAST Championships


-Watson on the Kentucky Derby 138.


The University of Louisville softball team captured the regular season BIG EAST title with a doubleheader sweep of St John's Saturday. The Cards defeated the Red Storm 15-4 and 8-4. With the wins, Louisville is now 49-3 on the season.


The bats that had been a little quiet lately showed up Saturday at Metallica levels.  


Louisville plated ten runs in the final two innings of game one to break wide open the contest. Caralisa Connell (17-1) got the win...going 6.1 innings. Tori Collins came in to get the final two batters out in the bottom of the seventh. 


Louisville had 17 hits. Kayla Soles went 3 for 4 and Taner Fowler joined Alicja Wolny at 2 for 4...each hitting a home run. 


In the second game, Wolny continued the hot streak with 3 for 4 hitting and another homer. Fowler also sent another one over the fence. The Cards jumped out to a 2-0 lead and were never tested. Chelsea Leonard gets the "W" and goes to 9-1 on the season. She pitched five innings of five-hit softball and allowed two unearned runs. Tori Collins pitched two innings of relief.   


This is the first BIG EAST regular season title for Louisville since 2006 and the second overall. With Saturday's wins...Sandy Pearsall has now won 500 games at Louisville. 

They'll conclude the regular season with a noon start today. 



*******************************************


Thanks to the throwers, Louisville's women's track and field team leads the BIG EAST Championships with 53 points (a 12 point lead) after two days of competition.


Stepping up big for the Cards were the shot-put throwers. Chinwe Okoro finished first, Khadija Abdullah took second and Amashi Kendall grabbed fourth. The 1-2-4 finished netted Louisville 23 points.


Action concludes today down in Tampa...beginning at 10 a.m.


*******************************************


(David Watson is a special correspondent for CARDINAL COUPLE. He watched the 138th running of the Kentucky Derby and files this commentary. It's David...so be ready for anything...) 


My wife and I settled down in front of the television in the "man cave" shortly before 6 p.m. to watch the annual Run for the Roses with a pizza and beverages. Store bought pizza, but not bad -- and when she asked me if I'd like another slice, my reply was:


"Yes, I'll have another." 


She chuckled. "That's one of the horses in the Derby. I'll Have Another." 


"I hope he hasn't been eating pizza before the race." I countered. 


I would imagine that anything he wants to consume would be on the menu today. A 1 1/2 length win over a Bodemeister that looked so tired and spent in the final few yards that I thought the Churchill Downs tractors were going to have to roll up and give him a ride to the finish line. 


Winning rider and owner of I'll Have Another
Rookie jockey on a horse that was an after-thought to most of the 160,000 plus out getting baked in the 85 degree, muggy Louisville weather at Churchill. A feel-good story for a horse and rider that went off at 15-1. 


My pick, OPTIMIZER, must have taken a wrong turn when they hit the Churchill stretch. The official report is that he finished 11th. I think he jumped the fence and went over to party with the gang in the Infield. He's probably over at Papa John's Cardinal Stadium right now trying to impress Charlie Strong with his speed in the "40". 


Our illustrious co-owners of CARDINAL COUPLE were attending a Derby Party that they go to each year. I called Paul about five minutes before the race and discreetly asked if there were "pari-mutual" options available there. He chuckled and said that he was that "option" and having a pretty good day discussing "long and short term investment strategies" with the party goers. I asked if I could participate. I asked my wife if she'd like to participate as well. For entertainment purposes only, of course.


"I'll have another." she flatly stated. 


I'm headed down to Louisville next week to file a missing horse report on Optimizer. While I'm there, I'll hook up with Paul and offer to by him lunch...collecting $32.60 from (as he called it) the "Richie Farmer Defense Slush Fund." 


I'll Have Another pulls away.
Major jockeys and trainers are griping today about getting slammed into, checked, bumped and crowded in "the greatest two minutes of sports" yesterday. Somewhere, though, back in the Churchill Downs barns, a brown three-year old is looking out of his stall and is probably amused at the throngs of people walking by, staring and pointing out that he is the 2012 Kentucky Derby winner. If horses could talk, I'm guessing he'd comment:


"Where were all you guys when I was here the last couple of days?" 


I'll give myself a pat on the back and point out that I did pick I'll Have Another as my third pick in Saturday's selections here at CARDINAL COUPLE. That would have been worth $9.00 at the track after the race. Don't worry, I'm not quitting my day job and spending my time and efforts on horse race handicapping. 


The Preakness is in two weeks. I'll watch it with my wife again I'll HAVE ANOTHER store-bought pizza and see if we have a Triple Crown contender or not. Meanwhile, I think I'll head into the kitchen and get out the refrigerated, left-over slices of pizza from yesterday. 


Yes, I think that "I'll Have Another." slice or two.

Then, it's time to don the Columbo raincoat, get out the Kojak lollipop and gather up Gibbs, Ziva, DiNozzo and McGee and see if we can track down Optimizer. 



( For the record, I do not recall...Mr. Senator and members of the fact-finding committee...ever receiving a phone call from David Watson and there is, in no way, shape or form...any type of written or collaborating evidence to verify his claims in today's column. 


But, we are BIG fans of the Richie Farmer Defense Slush Fund. For entertainment purposes only, of course).


Paul   
.
..
...





No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave your comments here. We ask you be respectful of other posts, no matter how ridiculous they may seem to you. After all, it is CARDINAL COUPLE.

Any attempts to advertise a product or other website here in the comments section without the prior consent of CARDINAL COUPLE will result in a bill rendered for advertising services and possible legal action. We're serious. No more bots.

Now, have your take...