CARDINAL COUPLE

CARDINAL COUPLE
We report on the joy and excitement of UofL women's sports here. Thanks for checking us out! Click the picture of Louie to hear the latest Cardinal Couple Radio Hour Podcast!!

Wednesday, July 31, 2024

The Olympian -- WEDNESDAY CARDINAL COUPLE

 JOE BALDWIN WAS ON 1960 USA Olympic Rowing Team


So, how many of us can say we are related to an Olympian? In conversations with a cousin of mine last night, I was reminded of another cousin that rowed for the U.S.A. in the 1960 Olympics. His squad placed fifth in the event, breaking the U.S.A. win streak in the event from 1920-1956. The event was held in  Rome, Italy.


"Joey" as we called him, the was son of Joe and Irene Baldwin. Irene was one of my mom's sisters, and i can remember going to visit "Auntie Irene" as a boy, when they lived in Charleston, SC. Both have passed away now, but  cousin Joey is still alive and retired from being a pilot for Continential Airlines. He flew Navy Fighter jets, and was involved in the Vietnam conflct, from what i remember being told to me.  

Joey went to the US Naval Academy and was born in 1938 in Long Beach, California. I was not even in school yet, when he rowed, but remember seeing the paddle he used and the five circle Olympic crest in his parents' den. 


His was an eight man squad....made up mostly of midshipemen from Annapolis.  "Joey" is still alive and is now 85 years old, and I remember him as being a massive young man, strong and muscle-bound, who would pick me and the neighborhood kids up way over his head and play hide and seek with us when he would visit his parents and i happened to be visiting Joe and Irene with my folks at the same time. 


I lost touch with him as time went by.  I do remember getting a high school graduation check from him because it was one of the first personal checks i ever received in my life. I want to say it was for $25  but I can't confirm that. I had a checking/savings account, set up for me by my parents at the old Ciizens Fidelity bank in Fern Creek and I am pretty sure it ended up there. 



That bank later became PNC and one of my "high school crushes" got a job there as a teller at the old Citizens Fideilty. I also got my first loan there (cosigned by my parents, of course) to buy my first car, a 1969 Chevelle Malibu...I bought it used in 1972 from the old Tri City Olds and my salesman was Charlie Woodson. I became the terror of Fern Creek in that bad boy muscle car and the Jefferson County Police got to know me pretty well, pulling me over for speeding tickets or warnings on Bardstown Road.

 Ah, memories...right? 

And, that's my Olympic story and our Wednesday article. Enjoy the rest of the games and...go U.S.A. !!!

paulie


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave your comments here. We ask you be respectful of other posts, no matter how ridiculous they may seem to you. After all, it is CARDINAL COUPLE.

Any attempts to advertise a product or other website here in the comments section without the prior consent of CARDINAL COUPLE will result in a bill rendered for advertising services and possible legal action. We're serious. No more bots.

Now, have your take...