CARDINAL COUPLE

CARDINAL COUPLE
We report on the joy and excitement of UofL women's sports here. Thanks for checking us out! Click the picture of Louie to hear the latest Cardinal Couple Radio Hour Podcast!!

Friday, March 27, 2020

Teeter and Tess plus Dana named -- FRIDAY CARDINAL COUPLE


TALKING WITH SCOTT TEETER


Today's interview is with Scott Teeter. We take a look at what goes into recruiting of student-athletes and also a few of the basics of the game of Lacrosse. During the regular season, we tried to keep a weekly dialogue with the head coach of Louisville Lacrosse and will continue to try and do that now that the sports have been silenced. 

Today's talk is an excellent chance for you to learn more about the exciting sport of lacrosse and also a chance to explore some of the basics of the game. We've heard lacrosse is very similar to basketball in several concepts and features of the game. We know how crazy our readership is about UofL WBB, so we hope you'll enjoy today's chat with Scott. 

LINK: SCOTT TEETER 3/26/20 INTERVIEW


TRAVELS WITH TESS

Many of you remember UofL Volleyball standout Tess Clark and her contributions to Cards Volleyball. She was able to parlay her time at UofL into a chance to play in Europe as a professional after she graduated. 

Getting back from Europe, though, to the United States...in the mist of a pandemic...is no easy feat. We appreciate Nancy Worley, UofL Volleyball SID, sharing Tess's story and we're pleased to share it with you today: 


So after getting turned away from the gate for your flight to Phoenix, what happened then?
Tess: It was crazy. We had to wait in line for hours, just to barely get a flight the next day. It was mayhem because no one knew on either side of the ocean exactly what was going on. The airlines didn’t know. The security didn’t know. This kind of thing had never happened before so they didn’t know what to tell us.  We had to spend the night Saturday and left Sunday.  The United States said it was not accepting flights after Monday at midnight from the U.K. So once again we were just hours ahead of the ban to beat this crazy situation. It could have been way worse.” 

Where did they eventually send you?
Tess: “Sunday we flew to Chicago. We were one of the very first international flights to land into O’Hare. So we had heard that Chicago was terribly long in screening but thankfully we were the first plane in so each of our screenings only took about 20 minutes. They took our temperature and asked a lot of questions. That part turned out easy but it was luck of the draw which line you stood in. Some people at the back of the line had to wait a lot longer. We just happened to be in the front.” 

The logistics of moving that many people with so little lead time had to be monumental.
Tess: “We made it home to Phoenix. It was kind of comforting because throughout these airports it was all Americans just trying to get home. We were all in the same boat.  So it was scary and there was so much anxiety but comforting to see families. Because every study abroad student had to leave so there were so many kids my age trying to get out with all their stuff and their suitcases. It was a big reunion of Americans trying to get out.  I took all my stuff home from Spain. Since my parents were there, they had their suitcases so I was able to fit all my stuff. If they hadn’t been there, I don’t know how I would have gotten my stuff home.”

In retrospect, you have to be grateful you made the call to head home. Talk about your decision process.
Tess: ”I feel like the moment I decided to come home was when I read my friend in Finland, which had zero cases at the time,  she was scared. She is a very level-headed person and she called me and said I am too scared to stay. That was my decision point.  If she is scared up there where it isn’t even bad, then I am in a country where it is already pretty bad and I knew then I had to get out. It was a wave of emotions at that point because my team was third in the league at that point, we were going to playoffs. We had a good chance to do so well, so that was emotional. I had to come to terms with if I left, I wouldn’t probably get to go back for that. I am so close with this team.  Just having to say goodbye to them was so hard. So sudden and not knowing. Andie was not able to say goodbye to anyone. She heard the news and the flight she booked as five hours later and she was gone. She didn’t get the chance to say goodbye.  I am thankful I got to say goodbye but it was draining. They totally understood but it still sucked.  I think every girl over there can attest that it is a sucky situation. There wasn’t anything else you could do. France was shut down. Spain was shut down. Germany was locked down. You couldn’t travel within the European Union. France had to lockdown its airports and the girls I knew playing there got out of there within hours of the shutdown of air traffic.”

There has to be a silver lining in all these dark clouds.
Tess: ”I think it was a blessing in disguise that my parents were there to go through this with me because it was nice to have my people there. If I had to face the uncertainty of travel alone it would have been harder. I obviously love Europe, but I am thankful to be back home in America. I don’t think it is as bad as it is going to be here judging from what I saw there.  I feel healthy and I feel like none of my family members are showing any symptoms.”

Is the CDC monitoring you and your family since you came in from a hot spot?
Tess: ”When we got screened by the CDC, they said that we were on a 14-day self-quarantine. So while no one is monitoring us, we are very respectful of that. We haven’t left the house. I have about five days left of only being home. We have to take our temperature every day and record it. My dad is working from home. My mom is a school nurse and the school system in Arizona are online classes only until April 10.  She is still waiting to hear if they are going to cancel school for the rest of the year but it hasn’t been announced yet. She’s on vacation still technically.  My sister goes to a small college in Arizona which is all online classes for the rest of the year. We are all home together.” 

You have to feel empathy for all the athletes who lost their championship opportunities or season. Talk about the range of emotions you have gone through.
Tess: “I think it is frustrating. As a professional volleyball player, you more than likely do not stay on the same team for more than one year. To have something that was so good and to be on a team that had a good shot at doing well in the playoffs it is frustrating that the situation came up. Obviously no one can control it, so there is no one to blame. All these teams have to deal with this crisis financially. The pro players don’t really know when the teams will start looking for players again and that puts us at a disadvantage because Americans are probably last on the list to recruit and sign. There are just a lot of unknowns. It is out of our control. All these American girls who were over there are now home two extra months instead of being in the mix.”

You are in some of the best shape of your life, what are you doing to keep your volleyball skills up to the professional level?
Tess: ”It is not like we can go help coach clubs or play. They are all cancelled and facilities are closed. It is irking because my practices in Spain were so difficult and they went so much quicker and faster and they made me so much of a better volleyball player. Every single day for three hours I would do that and I got so good. I have only been home for a week and I can’t find anything that was that high intensity. I am a very positive person. I am dealing with it. When you sit down and talk about it, you realize how sucky it is. ”

Talk about your perspective of the big picture of this unprecedented crisis.
Tess: “I have perspective that my problem not finishing my pro season is insignificant when people are dying. Even as I was traveling, seeing these countries shut down and Americans who weren’t as lucky as me and got stuck there. We were very, very thankful that we had a plane ticket home.  Now being home in my safe home with enough food, we are more than grateful we aren’t one of the people that are suffering. We are so lucky. When you think about it, every single person in the world has had something cancelled, or lost their business, every single person has been impacted in some way. The fact that we have our house and we have each other or isolated alone. There is so very much to be thankful for.  I am supported by my parents and I am not in debt. All of the players lost our salaries for the rest of the season. So that is a bummer but then again in the big picture, thank goodness for the University of Louisville with my full ride there, I don’t have debt. So it is just this period of waiting and we are just really lucky.” 


DANA HONORED

 University of Louisville junior guard Dana Evans is one of four finalists for the 2020 Wade Trophy, the Women’s Basketball Coaches Association announced today. The prestigious award is presented by the WBCA each year to the best player in college women’s basketball.

She is joined by Tyasha Harris of South Carolina, Sabrina Ionescu of Oregon and Aari McDonald of Arizona.

Evans led Louisville in scoring with 18.0 points per game while connecting on a league-best 90 3-pointers. She also became the first player in Atlantic Coast Conference history to be named ACC Player of the Year a year after receiving ACC Sixth Player of the Year honors.

Harris finished the current season as South Carolina’s leader in assists (5.7) and steals (1.6) for the third consecutive year. She was named the recipient of the 2020 Dawn Staley Award, which is presented annually to the nation’s best guard in NCAA Division I women’s basketball by the Phoenix Club of Philadelphia.

Ionescu, the 2019 Wade Trophy recipient, became the first player in women’s or men’s college basketball history to record 2,000 points, 1,000 rebounds and 1,000 assists in her career. She earned Pac-12 Player of the Year honors and matched her single-season record eight triple-doubles.

McDonald concludes her college career with 66-straight double-figure scoring performances. She led the Pac-12 with 20.6 points and 2.3 steals per game and earned Pac-12 Defensive Player of the Year and All-Pac-12 selection honors.

The WBCA will announce the winner of the 2020 Wade Trophy on April 2.

Have a Friday full of feeling!

paulie
xxxxx





2 comments:

  1. WHAT A GREAT STORY about Tess and Teeter really explains it so anyone can understand Lacrosse. I hope he continues to bring those "blue collar" women into the program.

    I can testify to that blue collar mentality, being from that group, and my blue collar stock personnel always go out and get it done.

    Continue to social distancing, we're keeping the store clean for you and don't be a hog. Shop responsibly.

    Curtis "Think about your fellow man" Franklin

    ReplyDelete
  2. u know the biased west coast media gonna give it to ionescu but dana can always point to she shut down ionescu when they played each other and she'd do it again if they had the chance to do so. ionescu dont have the temperment for the wnba and shell be a wash out there

    ReplyDelete

Please leave your comments here. We ask you be respectful of other posts, no matter how ridiculous they may seem to you. After all, it is CARDINAL COUPLE.

Any attempts to advertise a product or other website here in the comments section without the prior consent of CARDINAL COUPLE will result in a bill rendered for advertising services and possible legal action. We're serious. No more bots.

Now, have your take...