CARDINAL COUPLE

CARDINAL COUPLE
We report on the joy and excitement of UofL women's sports here. Thanks for checking us out! Click the picture of Louie to hear the latest Cardinal Couple Radio Hour Podcast!!

Tuesday, July 8, 2014

Tuesday Cardinal Couple - Why?


TUESDAY CARDINAL COUPLE

- Jeff McAdams explains...why?


First, a disclaimer.  Paulie has never asked me to directly participate in any of the fundraising aspect of Cardinal Couple.  He's never asked me to ask for financial support in any article that I write.  He's never asked me to chime in on any part of the discussions on the radio broadcasts about financial support.

I would like to talk about why I write for Cardinal Couple and co-host the radio shows with Paulie.

I started writing for Cardinal Couple almost two years ago, and have been co-hosting the radio show since it began.  I started primarily writing about Volleyball, because that is a sport that I have loved for many years, and I felt like I could add some richness to the wide net coverage.  I expected that I would contribute articles about Volleyball events, and maybe some insights into Women's Basketball, but not much else.  Frankly, I had only been to a handful of women's athletic events at UofL other than Volleyball and WBB before then.

Since I started working with Paulie, I've taken the opportunity to become a regular attendee of many UofL women's athletic events, and am probably providing the most consistent media presence at UofL Softball games.  I've learned everything I know about Lacrosse, and Field Hockey while reporting for Cardinal Couple.  I've watched Rowing scrimmages on the Ohio River, cheered on several Tennis matches at the Bass-Rudd Tennis Center, and stood fence-side as well as sat in the bleachers for quite a few Soccer games.  I've even been to a Swimming and Diving meet at The Ralph Wright Natatorium.  Of course, I could've done every one of these things without writing for Cardinal Couple, and other than Soccer, Volleyball, and Women's Basketball, none even charge admission.  Thanks to my affiliation with Cardinal Couple, I've even had the opportunity to watch a UK vs Duke Women's Basketball game courtside on press row at Rupp Arena...a surreal experience for this Cardinals fan, for sure.

I have had the opportunity to meet and follow many wonderful young women as they represent the University, and the City of Louisville, and do a wonderful job of it.  I've also taken road trips to Philadelphia, New Orleans, Washington D.C., State College PA, Chicago, West Lafayette IN, Champaign IL, and other cities to see various teams play.  I've made friends in the stands, on the sidelines, and on the fields of play.  My life has been enriched in numerous ways.

I want to thank you all, the supporters of Cardinal Couple, for enabling some of what I do.  None of the above required me to be a member of the media to do, but it has encouraged me to step out and do some of these things that I probably would not have done otherwise.

No one that has written for Cardinal Couple has ever gotten rich off of it, for sure.  Any financial support that you contribute goes to cover the minimal, but definitely non-zero, costs of hosting the website and producing the radio show...we don't get paid to write...road trips don't get paid for...we do it because we love it.

We sincerely hope you love it too.  We hope you love hearing about what's going on in the world of UofL Women's Athletics as much as we love sharing about it.  We hope we inspire you to come to see future WNBA stars like Shoni Schimmel before they go pro.  We hope, if you're already a season ticket holder for WBB, that you'll expand your support to Volleyball, Soccer, or Field Hockey in the fall; or Lacrosse and Softball in the spring.  We hope that you'll come out and support UofL sports that don't get scrutiny from every major media outlet in the country, let alone city.  We hope that you will take the opportunity to come to sports where most of the people in the stands are related to the players playing on the field and see the pride in the eyes of their parents and loved ones when they spike the ball, or hit a home run, or put the ball in the goal whether by stick, net, or foot.  We hope that you will come and see UofL students competing, not because they have a chance of making millions of dollars by going pro, but because they love the game.

That's why I write for Cardinal Couple.

jeff mcadams

( EDITOR'S NOTE:  WE ARE VERY FORTUNATE AND BLESSED TO HAVE JEFF "WORLDWIDE" MCADAMS AS A CONTRIBUTING COLUMNIST AND ' THE VOICE OF REASON' ON OUR WEEKLY BROADCASTS. WE KNOW YOU APPRECIATE HIS EFFORTS AS WELL. WITHOUT EMBARASSING HIM ANY FURTHER...I'LL END WITH THIS: IF JEFF WAS A VOLLEYBALL PLAYER AND I WAS A COACH...HE'D BE THE GUY I'D WANT THE SET TO GO TO FOR THAT MUST-HAVE "KILL". HE ALWAYS DELIVERS...)

paulie 

3 comments:

  1. Well said, Jeff. I agre down the line.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for doing what you do, Jeff. Thanks to Paulie also. Your site is always a fascinating read. Even when you are asking people for money, you do it in a readable and non-overbearing way.

    I do wonder about the reluctance to add advertising, though.

    Nick O.
    Jasper

    ReplyDelete
  3. We choose not to...after a few rough experiences with that. Getting paid was one of them. We're an independent site. You choose if you want to help support it. WE won't accept money in return for putting up a statement on where to eat lunch, buy a car, invest your money or meet lonely women. It's why I even stopped doing the Cheeseburger of the Week column on the Right Side of the Site. My dining experience may not be the same as yours.

    We believe in the power of the people. If the people let us down, we'll go away quietly. So far, we're still here.

    Paulie

    Paulie

    ReplyDelete

Please leave your comments here. We ask you be respectful of other posts, no matter how ridiculous they may seem to you. After all, it is CARDINAL COUPLE.

Any attempts to advertise a product or other website here in the comments section without the prior consent of CARDINAL COUPLE will result in a bill rendered for advertising services and possible legal action. We're serious. No more bots.

Now, have your take...