TUESDAY CARDINAL COUPLE
- More of the same..."Stewie" and UConn dismantle Cards
|photo by charlie springer. uoflcardgame.com
Breanna "Stewie" Stewart had 22 points and 13 rebounds, Kaleena Mosqueda-Lewis added 13 points and 10 rebounds and Moriah Jefferson shut down Shoni as the Huskies sled into town for a 68-48 win.
It was an energetic crowd. Maybe the loudest I've ever heard it for a WBB game...especially when the Cards jumped out to a 7-0 lead in the first two minutes. You had to believe. You wondered how long the Cards could ride the Senior-night, emotion train.
About 10 minutes.
|another charlie photo...shoni's only three of the night
When the Cards cut it to 12 in the second half, a faint glimmer of hope arose again. The Huskies proceeded to hold the Cards scoreless for ten minutes and led 62-42 before Shoni made a layup with 2:19 left.
FIVE TAKEAWAYS FROM MONDAY NIGHT:
1) Geno thinks the Cards are a #1 seed. When asked what he would think of the NCAA Selection Committee sending UConn to Louisville as a #1 seed, he responded:
"I would feel like they spent most of the night here in the bourbon bar drinking."
He thinks the Cards will be a #1 seed. Three losses to UConn should affect that.
|Dallas Dick in the red hat. Yeah, I know. I'm not a photographer
"I wasn't going to do anything fancy for this shoot, but people were calling me and telling me I would be on national TV a lot...so I cleaned up a little and did my braids."
Dallas, we can dig it. A pleasure meeting you.
3) Breanna Stewart is the best player in the nation. Louisville held her to seven first half points. Geno commented:
"In the first half, Louisville had some kind of triangle defense going and she was content to stand on the outside of it and watch the game. I suggested to her she move a little bit and she did That got her open, she got shots and they went in."
4) 47-30. That was the rebounding margin. Blocking out, going for the ball and contesting every missed shot. It's what the Huskies do. A 15-2 second chance margin. Speaks volumes.
5) Bob is cool, too. He was one of the officials last night with Dee Kanter and Cameron Inouye. He is an approachable sort of guy. I asked him during a time out if he was going to the ACC with the Cards. He grinned broadly and said he was already there waiting for us. I asked why he and his brother and son (all NCAA refs) didn't call the game. He laughed and said that would have been fun...then he looked at Dee and said..."But..." Keep whistling, Bob Enterline
Plenty of hoops to go. Shoni says UofL will beat UConn this season. They have one, maybe two more chances. But, maybe she needs to take Geno, Breanna, Mosqueda-Lewis to the bourbon bar and "keep 'em coming" to help that happen...