CARDINAL COUPLE

CARDINAL COUPLE
We report on the joy and excitement of UofL women's sports here. Thanks for checking us out! Click the picture of Louie to hear the latest Cardinal Couple Radio Hour Podcast!!

Saturday, June 16, 2012

Saturday Cardinal Couple -- Football at 50

.
SATURDAY CARDINAL COUPLE


-Charlie Strong Women's Clinic review.


-Dream put out the Sparks


(We have a reader submitted article today from Sharon Meade. She and her niece recently took part in Coach Strong's camp and she shares her observations with us today. We've known Sharon for over twenty years and she was an integral part of one of the all-time best co-ed softball teams to ever grace the field at St. Martha. She is married to Mike Meade and they have one son, Charlie. They did not name him after the current UofL football coach. Here's her report...)


The 3rd annual Charlie Strong Women's Clinic on June 2nd was a real treat for female Cardinal fans. As a 50 year-old who was once athletic but doesn't work out regularly now, I have to admit I was a little nervous about the "drills". My 20 year-old niece was there with me to participate and for support. 


We quickly got caught up in the energy and enthusiasm of the participants, the presenters, coaches and staff. Stepping onto the football field was an awesome feeling -- one that helped me get through the running, passing, sit-ups and other drills. 


Samantha and Teddy Bridgewater. Sorry, but the chimps
can't figure out how to rotate the photos Sharon sent us.
We recommend you lay on your side while looking at today's
CARDINAL COUPLE pictures. 
During the clinic, I learned about football and the dedication and hard work that the players, coaches and staff put forth. Also, about the feeling of a "football family" that comes through. I think I learned enough to not have to ask my husband so many questions during the games. 


After the adrenaline wore off, I was tired and sore...but it was worth it. After a couple of days, I could actually cross my legs again without wincing in pain.


Sharon and Louie the Cardinal Bird. 
It was an awesome event and I'll be back for it again next year. 


( Great recap, Sharon! If coach Strong needs a emergency player, make sure he knows what section you're sitting in...)


*******************************************


How about that Angel McCoughtry? Atlanta Dream head coach Marynell Meadors was looking to shake  things up a bit, having seen her team lose three out of the last four. So, she brought Ms. McCoughtry off the bench last night instead of starting #35.


The result? 


Angel, the second-leading scorer in the WNBA this season, went for 31 and the Dream demolished the L.A. Sparks 92-59 in Atlanta...snapping a five-game L.A. win streak. 


Lindsey Harding added 18 for Atlanta and Sancho Lyttle contributed 13 in the 33-point win.


Looks like you might have stumbled on something successful, Marynell. 
.
..
... 

3 comments:

  1. I was at the clinic, too and can verify what Sharon said. I was sore for almost a week after the drills. It was fun, though and I, too, will be there again next spring.

    Sally B.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm another one who took part in the clinic. Still in pretty good shape, so I wasn't
    too sore the next day. The coaches are very inspirational and I hope they are here to conduct this camp every year!

    Beth from Prospect

    ReplyDelete
  3. They need to divide the camp into two divisions. Over 35 and under 35. The old
    ladies were slowing me down!

    Carla

    ReplyDelete

Please leave your comments here. We ask you be respectful of other posts, no matter how ridiculous they may seem to you. After all, it is CARDINAL COUPLE.

Any attempts to advertise a product or other website here in the comments section without the prior consent of CARDINAL COUPLE will result in a bill rendered for advertising services and possible legal action. We're serious. No more bots.

Now, have your take...