CARDINAL COUPLE

CARDINAL COUPLE
We report on the joy and excitement of UofL women's sports here. Thanks for checking us out! Click the picture of Louie to hear the latest Cardinal Couple Radio Hour Podcast!!

Friday, August 6, 2021

Team USA in the Olympics; -- FRIDAY CARDINAL COUPLE

FRIDAYS WITH DARYL

Tokyo has been on my mind. I've had the Games on since they began...pretty much. Track and field has occupied the past weeknights.  By the time this post goes live, Allyson Felix will have run for a 10th career medal — and seventh gold — when she takes part in the 400 meters final Friday, Aug. 6 at 8:35am on Peacock.  The women's 400 final will re-air on NBC primetime at roughly 9 p.m. ET. 

  (photo from @usabjnt twitter)

I know alot of local fans have been anticipating the debut of top-15 freshman, Payton Verhulst, who is playing on the USA team in the U19 World Cup. Team USA is scheduled to face Italy Saturday Aug, 7th at 2:30 PM EDT in Debrecen, Hungary. In 2019, Verhulst was named MVP after leading the USA U16 team to gold.  




A personal follow-up on my golf game and performance at Monday's event.. I wasn't the worst on my team!  Some of my drives were the best ball, some of my fairway shots were the best ball and some of my putts carried our team to a -7 score.  I was pleased with my game, it was a gorgeous day and a lot of laughs were had.  Anybody happen to know the oldest lady to compete for Team USA golf?!  Just want to know all of my options! 




I also got the opportunity to meet Coach Dani Busboom-Kelly at the event.  I told her I was the person who 'makes the replays happen' in house at L&N arena.  She thanked me for introducing myself.  Short and sweet exchange.  I am looking forward to seeing her and the sparkly red blazer back on the sidelines this fall.  We're a couple weeks from an inter-squad scrimmage Aug 21st and just under a month out from the first match at home for the Cards Sept 3rd. 




I'm going to keep riding the Team USA high for these next few days and meanwhile, you should check out this article from Louisville's own Pat Forde for Sports Illustrated.  He wrote about his daughter, Brooke, and their journey to and at the Olympics. Brooke swam at Sacred Heart High School here in Louisville and is good friends with the daughter of one of Paulie's best friends. She's also a "Tree" -- swimming for Stanford.   If you enjoy Louisville references on the national level,  a father's pride in his daughter and behind the scenes stories from the sport world, check it out with the following link: 



Go Cards and Go Team USA 
~Daryl 




No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave your comments here. We ask you be respectful of other posts, no matter how ridiculous they may seem to you. After all, it is CARDINAL COUPLE.

Any attempts to advertise a product or other website here in the comments section without the prior consent of CARDINAL COUPLE will result in a bill rendered for advertising services and possible legal action. We're serious. No more bots.

Now, have your take...