FIVE FAST FACTS ON FIVE.
As we get nearer to the halfway point of the ACC women's basketball conference schedule, the cream is starting to rise to the top and the mud is sinking to the bottom...mixing a couple of metaphors here. We like to report on the joy and excitement of UofL sports here at CARDINAL COUPLE and knowledge of the teams that Louisville has met or is going to meet is exciting to me. So, in alphabetical order...let's take a look at the coalition known as ACC women's basketball and five things about five teams.
|Kelly Hughes has paid her dues.|
1) They are the only team in the ACC that is below .500 in overall play.
2) Quality win of the season? Probably over Clemson to start their ACC slate...although they did win the Battle of the Boston's against Boston University early in the season.
3) One player you need to know? Guard Kelly Hughes is fifth on the Career - Total Three Point FGS Made with 301 and is the only active player on the list..so the #1 spot held by Ivory Latta (345), who played for UNC from 2003-07, could be within Hughes range.
4) 6'4" sophomore center Mariella Fasoula leads the Eagles in scoring with 15.9 ppg. She's from Athens, Greece and was on the ACC-Blue Ribbon Panel All-Newcomer team last year.
5) Boston College has had one ACC Rookie of the Week this season...Georgia Pineau, a freshman forward from Victoria, Australia
|Wait til' the sun shines, Nelly Perry..|
2) In a 86-27 loss to FSU, the Seminoles posted their largest margin of victory over an ACC opponent in their 28 years in the league.
3) One player you need to know? How about Nelly Perry? The 5'10" junior guard from New Jersey leads the Tigers in scoring with 14.5 ppg. She's been out since early January with a separated shoulder and Clemson hasn't won since she sat down.
4) Danielle Edwards, a 5'7" sophomore guard out of Maryland, is shooting .839 from the foul line (47-56) as of 1/17/17.
5) Clemson, a South Carolina based school, has no South Carolina high school players on their roster...but four from neighboring Georgia.
|Lexie Brown has been a thorn in Louisville's side since she|
has been...like... five years old, right?
1) Duke guard Lexie Brown and Rebecca Greenwell average a total of 34.2 ppg.
2) Duke started the season 14-1 and beat five top-25 opponents in doing so.
Only unranked Vanderbilt dealt them a loss in that stretch.
3) Lexie Brown made 56 consecutive free throws earlier this season. It's an ACC record and the sixth-longest streak in NCAA history.
4) A name you need to know? Rebecca Greenwell was ESPNW Player of the week back on !2/5/16. She also played her high school ball at Owensboro (KY) Catholic.
5) Duke has won 448 home games in their 38 years in the ACC. That's #2 in the league....behind UNC's 511 in 39 years.
|Chatrice White will fight all night.|
2) Despite the top rankings, FSU has not had a ACC Player of the week or ACC Freshman of the week this year.
3) A name you might be familiar with...Leticia Romero leads the ACC in 3-Point FG PCT (.544) and Free Throw PCT (.938)
4) Florida State is 14-14 against Louisville lifetime. The only ACC schools with a over 50 % against the Cards are Notre Dame (12-4) and Clemson (3-2).
5) Florida State has not lost on the road this season...going 10-0 in away and neutral site contests.
|No "flash in the Pan"...Francesca has a strong history of|
Euro-ball in her background.
1) The Ramblin' Wreck started the season on fire at 11-2 but is 2-4 since then.
2) Georgia Tech has seven international players on their roster, the most of any ACC squad.
3) A name to know is Francesca Pan. She has been awarded ACC Rookie of the Week three times this season and is one of three players on the squad averaging 11 points a game.
4) Georgia Tech has only one senior on their roster and no graduate seniors.
5) Head coach MaChelle Joseph is fourth in seniority of the ACC coaches in the league...having been at GT for 13 seasons.
We'll look at Louisville, Miami, North Carolina NC State and Notre Dame the next time we do Five Fast Facts on Five. Have a wonderful Wednesday and use your turn signals when driving, please! A real nasty wreck this morning out in front of the house and it was because a driver didn't use a turn signal, stopped and got rear-ended in the dark. Let people know what you're doing. Use turn signals. Waking up to screeching tires, a loud metallic crash and seeing a person bleeding and unconscious behind the wheel is no way to start the day...
Donovan Mitchell is Superman