CARDINAL COUPLE

CARDINAL COUPLE
We report on the joy and excitement of UofL women's sports here. Thanks for checking us out! Click the picture of Louie to hear the latest Cardinal Couple Radio Hour Podcast!!

Thursday, December 27, 2012

Thursday Cardinal Couple -- Cardinal Resolutions


( Staff Columnist Jenny O'Bryan returns today with a list of resolutions for 2013. We're going to add a couple here for her...Stay healthy in 2013 and keep our readers informed with the best of Cardinal women's sports! )



Well, it is that time of year again.  Time for most of us to make New Year resolutions, that often fall by the wayside weeks, if not months, in to the New Year.   Over the years, I have become a bit more realistic in my goals for the upcoming year, and with that, have had better, longer lasting success at meeting those goals. 

Last year’s resolution was to do at least one home project a month for at least 6 months.  Any of you that are homeowners know, there is often a never-ending list of things to be done.  Between work, kids activities if you are blessed with them, keeping up with the day to day rigors of dogs, laundry, cleaning, dinner, grocery shopping and yard upkeep, there is not a lot of time left to tackle the bigger projects.  I am happy to say last year I accomplished some great projects that were long overdue.  With one big project a month, it is hardly enough to cut in to the laundry list of things to be done, but this approach made it more manageable for me. 

This past year, thanks to my resolution, I researched, planned, and planted a new tree to replace one that did not make it through the ice storm several years ago.   In keeping with that, the first project included cutting down the aforementioned, medium sized tree that still stood in the front yard, so that a new one could go in.  Against all odds, no one, or the neighbor’s belongings, were injured or damaged in meeting this goal.  An arborist I am not, but it got done.  After a season with a new deck on the back of the house, a huge project was cleaning, water sealing and decorating the new deck.  Many a Cardinal Couple articles were written from that very spot, having accomplished that goal this past year.   Those are a few of the projects knocked off the list last year.  For everyone accomplished, 2-3 more were added.   That same resolution sits atop my New Years list again this year. 

All this leads me to a new resolution to add to my list this year.  Upon reflection, I have come up with a few Cardinal Resolutions.   As many of you regular readers know, basketball seems to be my sport of passion.  Hence, the majority of my Cardinal Resolutions revolve around basketball. 

Follow my team:  I am an avid fan of Cardinal Women’s Basketball.  I never miss a home game.  Last year I traveled to several reasonable away games.  This season, I intend to expand upon that!  A minimum of one away game that requires travel will be attended.  Right now, it is looking like the Notre Dame game, February 11.   Many of the top teams in the country travel well.  While Louisville’s home game attendance ranks second in the country, I am pretty sure not a lot of us travel.  I want to change that.  I am starting that for myself, this season. 

Support my team:  It is easy to be a fan when things are going well.  With injuries to this program the last two seasons, high hopes upon the opening of the season always need to be tempered with reasonable expectations.  Regardless of what is going on with the personnel, I need to support my team, through the wins and especially through the losses.  I am not a coach, and have never been a coach, I remind myself to support my team, and the coaches, they are the experts here, not me as a courtside watcher. 

Watch more high school ball:  The state of Kentucky is loaded with young, upcoming talent.  Not only do I want to get out and see some of that young talent, I want to take in a big AAU Tournament this upcoming summer travel season.  As a fan of the recruiting world, the best way to know the talent is to see it, and I plan to get out and watch some high school ball. 

Learn about lacrosse:  I have never seen a lacrosse game.  I cannot write one intelligent sentence about lacrosse.  I intend to change that.  I am not sure how intelligent my reporting about Lacrosse will be, but I vow to read and learn about lacrosse, and challenge myself to convey that to Cardinal Couple readers.   

Do you have any Cardinal Resolutions you want share?  Email us or comment below.  If you want to join me at Notre Dame, let me know!  I am sure our team would love the support! 

( Editor's Note...Louisville plays at South Bend on Monday, Feb.11th at 9:00 p.m.)

Happy New Year, readers!  May 2013 bring you much peace, health and happiness, and may our Cardinal student athletes continue to excel both in the classroom and on their respective courts!

2 comments:

  1. Great resolutions, Jenny! As a permanent South Florida resident now, I miss the thrill and excitement of the Lady Cards games. Been going to a few USF Lady Bulls games, but it's not the same. Can't wait for the Cards to arrive here on Jan. 30th!

    I also plan on a trip to Louisville in early Feb. and hope to catch the Lady Cards vs. Pitt in the KFC YUM! Center.

    Happy New Year all!

    --Joe Hill--

    ReplyDelete
  2. Feb. 11th, huh?

    Wonder if we can make that the "Cardinal Couple Caravan and Coffee Klatch"?

    ReplyDelete

Please leave your comments here. We ask you be respectful of other posts, no matter how ridiculous they may seem to you. After all, it is CARDINAL COUPLE.

Any attempts to advertise a product or other website here in the comments section without the prior consent of CARDINAL COUPLE will result in a bill rendered for advertising services and possible legal action. We're serious. No more bots.

Now, have your take...