FRIDAY CARDINAL COUPLE
-Louisville women's athletics has experience, success at the head coach level.
-I'll Have Another has a close call Thursday morning.
Did you know that the University of Louisville has 12 women's sports that they compete at on the D1 level?
|Is this the UofL soccer coach?|
Here's a short quiz on the current head coaches that guide UofL women's sports...and then we'll give you a list of all 12. Answers follow that.
1) Which UofL coach below played locally in high school in Louisville?
A) Sandy Pearsall C) Arthur Albiero
B) Jeff Walz D) Anne Kordes
2) Which UofL coach has the longest tenure as a head
coach at Louisville?
A) Mark Beckham C) Kellie Young
B) Sandy Pearsall D) Ron Mann
3) Which UofL coach was head coach at Massachusetts before taking the Louisville job?
A) Laura Aubrey C) Jeff Walz
B) Justine Sowry D) Karen Ferguson-Dayes
4) What's the breakdown on the 12 coaches by gender?
A) 11 men, 1 woman C) 5 men, 7 women
B) 4 men, 8 women D) 3 women, 8 men
5) Which coach below did not win a conference title
A) Anne Kordes C) Jeff Walz
B) Sandy Pearsall D) Arthur Albiero
6) Which coach would have no use for a goalkeeper in their sport?
A) Arthur Albiero C) Karen Ferguson-Dayes
B) Justine Sowry D) Kellie Young
7) Which matchup below is incorrect?
A) Sowry & Field Hockey C) Walz & Basketball
B) Pearsall & Softball D) Moth & Water Polo
8) EXTRA CREDIT !!! Who was the softball coach at UofL before Sandy Pearsall?
A) Tom Jurich C) J. Fred Muggs
B) Natalie Novosel D) Art Vandoley
(ANSWERS BELOW...KEEP READING)
Here's a listing of the 12 coaches in women's sports at UofL and their years of service to the Cards:
Basketball -- Jeff Walz ( 5 yrs. )
Cross Country -- Taryn Sheehan ( 1 yr. )
Field Hockey -- Justine Sowry ( 2 yrs. )
Golf -- Kelly Meyers Rothberg ( 12 yrs. )
Lacrosse -- Kellie Young ( 5 yrs. )
Rowing -- Laura Aubrey ( 5 yrs. )
Soccer -- Karen Ferguson-Dayes ( 12 yrs.)
Softball -- Sandy Pearsall ( 13 yrs.)
Swim/Dive -- Arthur Albiero -- ( 7 yrs. )
Tennis -- Mark Beckham -- ( 3 yrs. )
Track & Field -- Ron Mann -- ( 8 yrs. )
Volleyball -- Anne Kordes -- ( 1 yr. )
|Is this the UofL water polo coach?|
|Is this the UofL|
(Now....to those answers!)
1. D. Anne Kordes played volleyball for her Dad here in Louisville at Assumption High School
2. B. Sandy Pearsall has 13 years on the books as the Cardinal Softball coach.
3. B. Justine Sowry was head field hockey coach at Mass. before taking the Louisville job.
4. B. Jeff Walz, Ron Mann, Mark Beckham and Arthur Albiero are the four male coaches in the UofL womens' sports programs
5. C. Jeff Walz. The women's basketball team did not win the BIG EAST regular season or tournament titles last season. Wait until this year!
6. A. Arthur Albiero's swimmers don't need a goalkeeper...but it might be an idea to use one to stop opposing swimmers from reaching the wall.
7. D. Louisville doesn't have a water polo team...but it might be fun watching Sean Moth coach if they did.
8. This was a trick question. Sandy Pearsall started the Softball program at UofL, so there was no head coach before her. Give yourself a point if you knew this.
(And now...our biting and sarcastic commentary on how well or poorly you did. Maestro, hit it!!!)
8 correct = Congratulations! You are now an honorary CARDINAL COUPLE "Know it All" (Like we don't have enough of those lurking around the site..)
7 correct = Your really know your coaches! Grab your whistle and get out there!
5-6 correct = Not bad. We'll put you on the list as a possible 'fill-in' if one of the staff chimps quit here at Cardinal Couple.
3-4 correct = Average. You need to pay a little more attention during the starting lineup introductions instead of watching Louie and the LadyBirds...
1-2 correct = Welcome to your first visit to the world of CARDINAL COUPLE! See our intern Timmy for a guided tour. (He'll expect a tip, be forewarned...)
0 correct = You've stumbled upon this site looking for birds, haven't you? Stick around, if you like...you may just learn a thing of two and have a little fun!
Triple Crown contender I'll Have Another had a very close brush with collision and possible injury while training Thursday morning for the Belmont Stakes. Maybe they need a traffic cop or flight controller out there...
Close call for I'll Have Another