Special Saturday CARDINAL COUPLE: At the ballpark...
-3:37 p.m.Colby Wherry lines out to short. Maggie Ruckenbrod pops out to second and Katelyn Mann takes a called third strike to end it. Four hits and no runs for Louisville...stymied by the arm of Jolene Henderson. Louisville now plays again today...against the winner of the upcoming Jacksonville State/Illinois Chicago game...scheduled for 4:30 p.m.
-3:34 p.mCal rocks Cards pitcher Tori Collins for two straight hits to begin the inning. Victoria Jones grounds out to advance the runners to second and third. Cards pitching coach goes to the mound. Collins is done for the day. Caralisa Connell comes on in relief...the book on Collins is 4 runs allowed on six hits. Connell faces Jordan Wallace and takes her to a full count before getting her on a called third strike for out two. Same thing for Elia Reid...strikes out and now it's do or die time for the Cards.
-3:22 p.m. Esteban and Bemis ground out to start the top of the sixth. Wolny retires also and one at bat left for UofL to tie it or take it to extra innings...4-0 Bears.
-3:17 p.m. After Britt Vonk singles, Jace Williams lines out to center. Ziegenhirt (how many times have I misspelled that one originally today) hits into a double play, a weird one, but leave the inning scoreless.
- 3:12 p.m. Louisville trying to rally as Maggie Ruckenbrod singles to left to start the inning. Katelyn Mann moves pinch runner to second with a fielder's choice. Taner Fowler singles to put runners on the corners. Chrisanna Roberts comes in to run for Fowler. The crowd is rowdy...disagreeing with every pitch that doesn't go in Louisville's favor. Austin strikes out for the second out. A long, barely foul drive is appearing to be touched before left fielder Jamia Reid goes over the 3rd base line, but the 3rd base umpire calls it foul and then Keller grounds out to end the effort.
-2:56 p.m. Still 4-0 after four innings. Cards have two hits against Henderson. Time to break out the heavy lumber and make this thing a dogfight. So far, the Bears are the alpha dogs...
- 2:37 p.m. Taner Fowler starts the top of the third for UofL fanning. Kristin Austin follows with a strikeout. Katie Keller goes down swinging also.
- 2:32 p.m. Frani Echavarria reaches on a blooper that falls between Wherry and Esteban. Decker sacrifices her to second...but Echavarria is thrown out trying to get to third. The first scores of the game come from the bat of Elia Reid....who barely cleares the left field fence with a two run homer. Her twin sister Jamia Reid draws a walk next...and Britt Vonk reaches on a infield tapper to short...advancing J.Reid. Jace Williams drills one deep to center that Kristin Austin tracks down but can't hold onto...J.Reid and Vonk score to make it 4-0 . Mercifully Lindsey Ziegenhirt fans to end the inning. Cards down big early...gotta find the bats.
- 2:20 p.m. Colby Wherry opens the second for Louisville grounding out. Maggie Ruckenbrod follows suit. Katelyn Mann taps one to third that the throw is bobbled on but third out is called by the umpire. Louisville's bats empty early.
- 2:15 p.m. Tori Collins on the mound for Louisville. Katie Keller bobbles a grounder to leadoff batter Jamia Reid. Next up, Britt Vonk who also reaches on an indecision play by Keller. Jace Williams grounds out for the first out but advances the batters. Lindsey Ziegenhirt fans on a Collins fastball for the second out. Ashley Decker pops out to the catcher to allow Collins to escape scoreless.
-1:59 p.m. Live at Ulmer Stadium for the opening game...UofL vs. California.
We're underway and Katie Keller opens up for the Cards with a left field single. Unfortunately, the next three Cardinals went down in order to California pitcher Jolene Henderson. After a
half inning at Ulmer it's 0-0.