CARDINAL COUPLE

CARDINAL COUPLE
We report on the joy and excitement of UofL women's sports here. Thanks for checking us out! Click the picture of Louie to hear the latest Cardinal Couple Radio Hour Podcast!!

Tuesday, January 18, 2011

CATCHING UP WITH...JAZZ COVINGTON




TUESDAY at C.C.

-"All that Jazz" still making music.
.
-Zenyatta better than Blame?
.
Before there was Jeff Walz and Angel McCoughtry and a trip to the NCAA Championship Game, a tough as nails post player from Adel, GA. prowled the paint for Tom Collen and the Lady Cards. In her four years at Louisville, Jazz Covington posted some very memorable stats. She is the third leading scorer of all time at UofL and led the Cards in scoring in 2004-05 and 2005-06. She 's also 2nd all time in career rebounding for Louisville and she led UofL in field goal shooting percentage her first three years as a Cardinal. Covington led teams made NCAA Tournament appearances her final three years and she played in 125 games as a Cardinal...going 88-37.
.
We caught up with #12 recently and here's an update on her:
.
Cardinal Couple: Fill us in on what you're doing these days.

.
JAZZ: I'm in my fourth season as a professional basketball player in Europe. Currently I am playing in France for Union Hainaut (UHBSA).
.
Cardinal Couple: Do you stay in touch with any of your teammates from your UofL days?
.
JAZZ: Yes! I still keep in contact with a few of my old teammates on a regular basis.
.
Cardinal Couple: Recalling those days...what was your favorite moment as a Cardinal?
.
JAZZ: Senior night.
.
Cardinal Couple: Out of 125 career games, is there a most memorable one?
.
JAZZ: My most memorable game is the game against UK my freshman year in their gym. It was the first time I had ever played in a gym with that many people. I mean...it was packed and the air was thin! Let's not forget that UofL and UK are rivals! I remember being up against Se Se Helm...considerably one of the best centers that year. It was a battle...senior on freshman. I fouled out with 4:00 in regulation but for 30 minutes I battled it out with Se Se. I was upset about the overtime loss yet pleased with my performance and effort.
.
Cardinal Couple: What might we be doing with Jazz on a night that she's not on the court? An evening of fun...
.
JAZZ: First, we're going to go out to eat. I can't do anything on an empty stomach. After, we would go have drinks at a nice spot with live music, preferably some jazz, blues or neo soul...you know, something for the grown folk. Clubs aren't really my thing but every now and then I might go.
.
Cardinal Couple: We're making dinner for Jazz! What are her favorite foods?
.
JAZZ: Aw, man! I LOVE lasagna with a lot of meat and very cheesy, not too hot though because I want to be able to chow down without having to blow on every fork full. Ocean Spray CranApple juice to drink! As for desert, red velvet cake...made from scratch, not that chocolate cake with red food coloring stuff. On top, some BlueBell Vanilla Ice Cream! And, a glass of vanilla soy milk to top it off.
.
Cardinal Couple: Who was the toughest opponent you faced in college?
.
JAZZ: Myself. I'm always my toughest opponent and critic. No one is harder on me than me. I expect so much out of me. And...'to whom much is given, much more is expected'.
.
Cardinal Couple: Toughest team you faced in college?
.
JAZZ: We played a lot of good teams from Conference USA and the BIG EAST. Just to name a few...UConn, Rutgers, TCU and Houston were all very good...but the toughest, grimiest, fight on your hands teams were West Virginia's 2006-07 team and East Carolina's 2004-05 team. It was always a battle in the paint for me when we played those two...
.

Cardinal Couple: Name four players that you would recruit to play in a starting five with you...

JAZZ:


Marjo Carpreaux (ESBVA)-PG


Amanda Jackson (Miami-Ohio)-G


Sylvia Fowles (LSU-WNBA)-C (pictured right)


and


Angel...

.
Cardinal Couple:
.
We're riding in Jazz's car. What are we likely to hear playing?
.
JAZZ: Hip hop. Ice Cube, Bun B., Scarface...when I feel like letting my inner G out. But, mainly...R&B/Neo Soul...Raheem DeVaughn, Tank, Algebra Blesset...when I'm just riding. Especially at night.
.
Cardinal Couple:

If you could change one thing about your collegiate career, what would it be?
.
JAZZ: Nothing. Everything happened according to HIS plan for me. I'm rolling with it!
.
Cardinal Couple:
.
What do you want to be doing five years from now?
.
JAZZ: Exactly what I'm doing right now! Travelling the world and doing what I so passionately love to do-play basketball!!
.
Cardinal Couple:
.
The three most important things to you?
.
JAZZ: GOD, my happiness and my family...in that order.
.
Cardinal Couple:
.
Anyone special you'd like to acknowledge or 'shout out' to in closing?
.
JAZZ: I want to say 'Hi' to my good friend and mentor Monica Fitzpatrick. Thru good, bad and sometimes ugly...you remained the same and always told me exactly what I needed to hear, not what I wanted to hear. A true friend... from the first day we spoke in the airport my freshman year to now. I love you Ma!

.
WE thank Jazz for sharing and opening up to us for our readers. Here at CARDINAL COUPLE, we've always hoped to see her play again on this side of the Atlantic in the WNBA and wish her the best of luck in Euroball. A fierce competitor who ruled with style, grace and authority during her Cardinal days...Jazz Covington continues to 'pull em down and put em back in'.
.

IS THERE A FORMER LADY CARD YOU'D LIKE TO SEE A "CATCHING UP' ARTICLE ON? SHOOT US A E-MAIL OR COMMENT ON THIS ARTICLE. WE'LL DO OUR BEST TO TRACK THEM DOWN!
*****************************************************************************
Zenyatta over Blame for Horse of the Year? Really? WE have to disagree here at CARDINAL COUPLE. Most of the awards that were given out last night at the 2010 Eclipse Awards we have no problem with. In fact, we were right there with the awards on Two-Year-Old Male (Uncle Mo), Two-Year-Old Filly (Awesome Feather) and Three-Year-Old Male (Lookin At Lucky). We'll even agree with Ramon Dominguez as Jockey of The Year. Can't go with Zenyatta, though...
.
Here's the argument. The two met in the Breeders Cup Classic. Blame beat Zenyatta. Would you give the NCAA Women's Championship to Louisville in 2009 because they came in second to Connecticut? Of course not. Blame deserves the honor. The Daily Racing Form voters, from the most knowledgeable source of thoroughbred racing...voted convincingly for Blame. But, other voters included the National Turf Writers and Broadcasters, National Thoroughbred Racing Association and Equibase members. Popularity contest...sure, Zenyatta wins hands down. But the best met and the best horse won. Blame won the battle but lost the war. Undeservedly.


.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave your comments here. We ask you be respectful of other posts, no matter how ridiculous they may seem to you. After all, it is CARDINAL COUPLE.

Any attempts to advertise a product or other website here in the comments section without the prior consent of CARDINAL COUPLE will result in a bill rendered for advertising services and possible legal action. We're serious. No more bots.

Now, have your take...